Jack, thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the confusion about 4 nodes. What I meant was to use 4 nodes to do
some POC, mainly focusing on handling the high incoming rate in a few days
instead of storing data over one year.

You estimated the required nodes (6,308) and storage (322TB) based on the
incoming rate and doc size. I have a few questions regarding to them:

1) Is "100 million docs/node" some general capacity guideline for a Solr node?
2) Assuming we can provide 6,308 nodes, can Solr Cloud really scale to that
level? I found you indicated some "common sense limits" of Solr Cluster size of
64 nodes in the following mail thread
http://find.searchhub.org/document/d823643e65fe2015#84f0c89df2426990
3) If 64 nodes are something we know Solr Cloud can scale up to, then does it
mean I can only be sure that 1% of the mentioned workload can be handle by Solr
Cloud? (64 is about 1% of 6,308 nodes)
4) The above mentioned "Solr Limitations" mail thread did mention some cluster
with 512 nodes but not really verified whether it worked or not; assuming it
worked, it just means we may be able to handle a little less than 10% of the
desired workload.
5) Given above simple deduction, it seems 2K docs/sec (10% of the mentioned
incoming rate) is the practical limitation of Solr Cloud we can guess for our
use case?
6) If the incoming rate is controlled to be around 1k or 2k docs/sec and we
want to use Solr Cluster with 64 nodes (or more if it still works), what kind
of collection/shard/core structure should be?

I am more looking for architectural advice regarding to Solr Cloud structure to
handle high incoming rate of relatively small docs.

Regards.

Shushuai

On Saturday, March 22, 2014 2:17 PM, Jack Krupansky <j...@basetechnology.com>