Distributed solr is simply the ability for Solr to take the incoming
query and send it to multiple shards, then aggregate the response.
Here a "shard" is a physical partition of a single logical index. The
assumption is that you can't fit the entire index on a single machine
and still get the performance you need, so you use N smaller "parts".

So, there has to be some mechanism to send the request to each
sub-index and assemble the response and give it back to the client.
That's "distrubuted solr".

Before 4.0, splitting the index up was entirely manual, _you_ decided
what document went to what shard. _you_ configured Solr to "know"
about where the other shards were. _you_ handled the situation where a
node went down and you had to "heal" the network. But it was still
using "distributed search"

As of 4.0, SolrCloud happens. The differences are
1> you can have Solr automatically distribute the docs to the right shard.
2> when a node goes down, Solr can automatically compensate (assuming
more than one replica/shard)
3> when the node comes back up, Solr will automatically re-synchronize
the node before (automatically) bringing it back into service

NOTE: you can still use old-style manual sharding if you choose, it's
available in 4.x

But be careful here and draw a distinction between "distributed
search" and "federated search".
Distributed search - what we've been talking about, the underlying
assumption is that the sub-indexes are all substantially similar.

Federated search - the sub-indexes (or, indeed, complete
self-contained indexes) may have no relation to each other and you're
somehow expected to search them all and return the results. In this
case you'll probably be firing off N separate queries (one to each of
N indexes) and assembling them at the app layer.

Best,
Erick