Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:49 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: solr-user Digest of: get.100322

On 5/20/2014 2:01 AM, Jeongseok Son wrote:
Though it uses only small amount of memory I'm worried about memory
usage because I have to store so many documents. (32GB RAM / total 5B
docs, sum of docs. of all cores)

If you've only got 32GB of RAM and there are five billion docs on the
system, Solr performance will be dismal no matter what you do with
docValues.  Your index will be FAR larger than the amount of available
RAM for caching.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems#RAM

With that many documents, even if you don't use RAM-hungry features like
sorting and facets, you'll need a significant heap size, which will
further reduce the amount of RAM on the system that the OS can use to
cache the index.

For good performance, Solr *relies* on the operating system caching a
significant portion of the index.

Thanks,
Shawn