As Otis mentioned, its obviously good to run Optimization once in a while
or when you are done with most of your heavy indexing operation. Its not
concern with the Disk Capacity rather with the IO and seeking in segements,
When comparably it has less segments to query the IO operation will be less
and so quick will be your query response.

Give it a go and come up with the stats.

Cheers!