I don’t know offhand about the num docs issue - are you doing NRT?

As far as being able to query the replica, I’m not sure anyone ever got to
making that fail if you directly query a node that is not active. It certainly
came up, but I have no memory of anyone tackling it. Of course in many other
cases, information is being pulled from zookeeper and recovering nodes are
ignored. If this is the issue I think it is, it should only be an issue when
you directly query recovery node.

The CloudSolrServer client works around this issue as well.

--
Mark Miller
about.me/markrmiller