Serbian Soccer Loyalties Cross Borders
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/12/international/europe/13web-balkans.html

By IVANA SEKULARAC and NICHOLAS WOOD
Published: October 12, 2005

BELGRADE, Serbia, Oct. 12 — Buses carrying hundreds of Bosnian soccer fans
made their way through the capital on Wednesday, but most of the fans made
the trip to root not for Bosnia but for its opponent, Serbia and Montenegro.

The game, which Serbia won 1-0, was for a spot in next year’s World Cup
finals in Germany. But when these two nations have a rare soccer match,
memories of the Bosnian civil war, from 1992 to 1995, quickly flare up. In
those years, Serbia intervened in support of Bosnian Serbs trying to carve
out a broader Serbian state.

Ten years later, most Serbs in Bosnia still see their loyalties lying across
the border. “Thirty of us came from Trebinje,” on Bosnia’s border with
Montenegro, said a 25-year-old Serbia supporter who gave his name only as
Sinisa. “How can we support those we fought in the war against us?”

When the war ended, international officials tried to bring together the
Croats, Muslims and Serbs in Bosnia to make a unified state out of Bosnia,
creating a single currency, uniform license plates, a flag and even a
national anthem. But in sports as in other areas, Bosnia remains divided.

Of the 2,500 Bosnian fans who the police estimated attended the match, just
700 were believed to be cheering for Bosnia.

In Sarajevo, Bosnia’s capital, Bosnian Muslim politicians loudly declared
their support for the Bosnian team, but some of their Bosnian Serb
counterparts were vague. The Parliament speaker, Nikola Spiric, a Serb,
said, “I will support our team,” and added that people could define “our”
whatever way they wanted.

The Bosnian Serb member of the three-member Bosnian presidency, Borislav
Paravac, would “support the team he has always supported,” Drago Vukovic,
one of his advisers, told the Srna news agency, adding that he supported Serbia.

Not so Prime Minister Adnan Terzic, a Muslim, who came to Belgrade to watch
the game.

The division extends to the players as well. Savo Milosevic, who is from the
northern Bosnian town of Bijeljina, is Serbia’s captain.

But the Bosnian captain is Branimir Bajic, who decided to play for Bosnia
although he is living in Belgrade and playing for one of the biggest clubs
here, Partizan.

Security was tight at the stadium, with more than 4,000 police officers on duty.

Bosnian Serb supporters could be seen across much of the stadium, many
holding banners with the names of their hometowns in Bosnia.

Supporters of Bosnia came into the stadium through a separate entrance,
protected by officers in riot gear and two on horseback. Some Serbia fans
jeered and shouted “Turks,” by way of an insult toward Muslims, as the the
Bosnia fans walked in.

Many Bosnian fans appeared undeterred. “The police were very professional,
both at the border crossing with Bosnia and here at the stadium,” said Ibmel
Romic, a 30- year-old professor from Zenica.

“We came here to support our state,” said Hasan Alik, 25, a student from
Lukavac, near Tuzla.

Soccer and nationalist politics were intertwined for much of the 1990’s.
Zeljko Raznatovic, known as Arkan, the notorious Serbian paramilitary leader
accused of involvement in massacres both in Bosnia and Kosovo, recruited his
forces from Belgrade soccer fans.

This was the third time the two sides had met. The last was a year ago, in
Sarajevo, where the Serbian fans were taunted with a banner that said, “We
have 250,000 reasons to hate you,” a reference to the number of people
killed in the war. The Serbian fans responded by shouting the name of
Radovan Karadzic, the wartime leader of the Bosnian Serbs, who oversaw the
siege of Sarajevo and is accused by international investigators of the
massacre of tens of thousands of Bosnian Muslims.

Give at-risk students the materials they need to succeed at DonorsChoose.org!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ryu7JD/LpQLAA/E2hLAA/1dTolB/TM