KLA claims responsibility for Priština blast
20 February 2007 | 09:59 -> *18:06* | Source: B92, FoNet, Beta, AP, DPA, 
AFP
*PRIŠTINA -- Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) says it blew up three UN 
vehicles in Priština last night.

*The blast caused no injuries but raised tensions amid ongoing 
negotiations on Kosovo's future.

Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) distributed a statement to the media by 
e-mail claiming to have set up the explosion. Kosovo Police Service is 
yet to determine the authenticity of the statement.

Kosovo Liberation Army , now a disbanded force that fought against Serb 
forces during the 1998-1999 conflict, said it had regrouped in order to 
"avenge the death of two protesters" during a recent demonstration in 
Priština, adding it would avenge "any future injustice" against its people.

Last night’s explosion was one of the most serious attacks on the UN 
mission in the province since March 2004 riots.

NATO-led peacekeepers sealed the blast area in downtown Priština, and 
were investigating, police spokesman Veton Elshani said.

The blast came 10 days after two people were killed in clashes between 
police and ethnic Albanian protesters who were objecting to a UN 
proposal for Kosovo's final status.

Kosovo's Prime Minister Agim Ceku, who visited the blast site late 
Monday, condemned the attack as "an act of those opposing the process of 
Kosovo's independence."

"Such criminal acts are absolutely unacceptable for Kosovo's people and 
its institutions," said Kosovo's President Fatmir Sejdiu, demanding that 
those behind the blast be caught.

Self-Determination to stage fresh protests

Meanwhile, the radically pro-independence Kosovo Albanian movement 
Self-Determination (Vetevendosja), which in the past organized violent 
protests that ended in fatalities, on Tuesday announced more 
demonstrations for early March.

Two demonstrators were killed and dozens injured when police fired 
rubber bullets into a crowd of several thousand Self- determination 
supporters.

The next protest was scheduled for March 3, coinciding with the start of 
the penultimate round of talks between Belgrade and Priština on the 
future status of Kosovo.

Unlike mainstream Kosovo Albanian leaders, movement Self-Determination 
rejects the negotiations and wants independence proclaimed immediately. 
Its leader Albin Kurti was arrested and ordered to serve a 30-day 
detention following the February 10 violence.

Self-Determination has a record of violent protests which included stone 
and paint-throwing at UN and Kosovo government buildings.

The protests on March 3 would be “peaceful,” aimed at those responsible 
for the death of the two demonstrators, Kurti's deputy, Glauk Konjufca, 
said.

In the wake of the demonstrations and the crackdown, the international 
police commissioner in Kosovo, Stephen Curtis, was forced to resign by 
UN Mission in Kosovo chief Joachim Ruecker.

Kosovo's Interior Minister Fatmir Rexhepi and several other officials 
also stepped down following the brutal crackdown. Kosovo has 
international and local police forces.

Konjufca rejected any Self-Determination link to a bomb in central 
Priština which damaged several UN vehicles late Monday night.

“We had nothing to do with it ... We denounce violence that jeopardizes 
public safety,” he said.

The UCK was formally disbanded following the war in Kosovo in 1999 and 
the arrival of the UN administration and a NATO-led peacekeeping mission.

UN appoints new interim Kosovo police chief

The United Nations appointed yesterday a new interim international 
police chief in Kosovo, while a search for a permanent replacement to 
his sacked predecessor continued.

UNMIK Deputy commissioner Trygve Kalleberg took up the post from 
Germany’s Uwe Marquardt. Marquardt had replaced Stephen Curtis after he 
was dismissed from the post last week.

Curtis was asked to step down from office after an autopsy showed two 
ethnic Albanians died of head wounds from rubber bullets fired by 
international police during a protest in Priština on February 10.

UN mission in Kosovo said Kallenberg would stay in office until a police 
commissioner was formally appointed, in several months time.

Одговори путем е-поште