http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7518543.stm
  
Page last updated at 22:07 GMT, Monday, 21 July 2008 23:07 UK
 E-mail this to a friend   Printable version   
Serbia captures fugitive Karadzic  
 
Radovan Karadzic is one of the world's most wanted men 
Bosnian Serb war crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic, one of the world's most 
wanted men, has been arrested in Serbia after more than a decade. 
He has been brought before Belgrade's war crimes court, in accordance with a 
law on cooperation with the Hague Tribunal, the Serbian presidency said. 
The Bosnian Serb wartime political leader disappeared in 1996. 
He had been indicted by the UN tribunal for war crimes and genocide over the 
1995 massacre at Srebrenica. 
His wartime military leader, Ratko Mladic, remains at large. 
Mr Karadzic's arrest was welcomed by war crimes prosecutors in The Hague as a 
"milestone". 
"Radovan Karadzic was located and arrested tonight" by Serbian security 
officers, a statement by the office of President Boris Tadic said, without 
giving details. 
"Karadzic was brought to the investigative judge of the War Crimes Court in 
Belgrade, in accordance with the law on cooperation with the International 
Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia [ICTY]." 
'Milestone in co-operation' 
Serge Brammertz, chief prosecutor of the ICTY, welcomed the arrest. 
"I was informed by our colleagues in Belgrade about the successful operation 
which resulted in the arrest of Radovan Karadzic," he said in a statement in 
The Hague. 
"On behalf of the Office of the Prosecutor, I would like to congratulate the 
Serbian authorities, especially the National Security Council, Serbia's Action 
Team in charge of tracking fugitives and the Office of the War Crimes 
Prosecutor, on achieving this milestone in cooperation with the ICTY." 
"This is a very important day for the victims who have waited for this arrest 
for over a decade. 
"It is also an important day for international justice because it clearly 
demonstrates that nobody is beyond the reach of the law and that sooner or 
later all fugitives will be brought to justice." 
Karadzic denial 
Mr Karadzic denied the charges against him soon after the first indictment and 
refused to recognise the legitimacy of the UN tribunal. 
The UN says Mr Karadzic's forces killed at least 7,500 Muslim men and boys from 
Srebrenica in July 1995 as part of a campaign to "terrorise and demoralise the 
Bosnian Muslim and Bosnian Croat population". 
He was also charged over the shelling of Sarajevo, and the use of 284 UN 
peacekeepers as human shields in May and June 1995. 
After the Dayton accord that ended the Bosnian war, the former nationalist 
president went into hiding.  

________________________________
Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger


      __________________________________________________________________
Instant Messaging, free SMS, sharing photos and more... Try the new Yahoo! 
Canada Messenger at http://ca.beta.messenger.yahoo.com/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Одговори путем е-поште