UN envoy condemns killing of children in Unity state

------------------------------------------------------------------------------



April 24, 2012 (JUBA) — The United Nations Special Representative of
the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict has condemned
Monday’s bombing in South Sudan’s Unity state, which killed two
children and injured at least six people.

 “Two 14-years old boys were killed and injured during aerial
bombardments on a market in Rubkona, Unity State,” said Radhika
Coomaraswamy.

 “Air raids in heavily populated areas killing and maiming children
are grave breaches of international humanitarian law,” she added,
while urging Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) to immediately stop these
“indiscriminate” attacks.

Tensions between the two countries intensified in the last few weeks
after South Sudan occupied the Heglig oilfield in Sudan’s Southern
Kordofan state on 10 April. On Friday last week, South Sudan announced
its withdrawal from the oilfields in response to demands from the
international community.

However, following Monday’s attack South Sudanese government officials
in Unity State accused Sudan of ignoring the recent calls by the
international community to end the border conflict between the two
nations.

“Sudan and South Sudan should both refrain from further confrontation
in an effort to spare innocent civilians from further suffering,” said
Coomaraswamy.

Both the United States (US) and the UN condemned Monday’s bombing of
the newly independent nation by neighboring Sudan as the situation
threatens to escalate into a possible outbreak of war between the
countries.

Ban Ki-moon, in a statement extended to Sudan Tribune, condemned the
Sudanese bombing campaign calling on "the government of Sudan to cease
all hostilities immediately".

He said there would be no military solution to the border dispute and
called on the leaders of both sides "to stop the slide toward further
confrontation and... to return to dialogue as a matter of urgency".

In a related development, The United Nations Mission in South Sudan
(UNMISS) also condemned the continued aerial bombardments in Bentiu
town, which is heavily populated by civilians.

“These indiscriminate bombings resulting in the loss of civilian lives
must stop,” said Hilde F. Johnson, Special Representative of the
Secretary-General for South Sudan.

“I remind the parties to the conflict of their obligation to abide by
international human rights and humanitarian law, take all measures not
to harm civilians, and guarantee the safety of international aid
organizations and United Nations personnel and assets,” Johnson added.

(ST).

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/SouthSudanKob?hl=en.

Reply via email to