---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Ashworth <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Subject: [sudan-john-ashworth] Sudan: starvation and illegal weapons
To: Group <[email protected]>


1. SPLM: Half a Million People at Risk of Starvation in Sudan

John Tanza Mabusu
VoA April 27, 2012

Yassir Arman, Secretary General of the Sudanese People's Liberation
Movement – North (SPLM-N), says the government of Sudan is holding
more than a half million people "hostage" in two states along its
southern border, Southern Kordofan and Blue Nile.

Arman said people in the two states "have no food, no medicine, they
have no shelter" and he blamed the international community for failing
to pressure Khartoum to allow aid agencies access to the worst-hit
areas.

Arman urged the international community to search for alternative ways
to deliver urgently needed aid to villages under government control
and the rebels of the Sudan People's Liberation Movement/Army - North
(SPLM/A-North).

“There is a need for this issue to be in the front seat, it should not
be in the back seat given the present situation and many crises in
Sudan. We should remain focused on the issue of humanitarian aid to
the Southern Kordofan, Blue Nile and Darfur,” he said.

Access to humanitarian agencies

Khartoum has been paying little attention to concerns by the
international community over the dire humanitarian situation in the
two states, maintaining that its government-commissioned survey
conducted in February said the situation in South Kordofan was not
serious.

The Sudan News Agency (SUNA) and the Sudan Media Center reported
earlier this week that Khartoum has agreed to form a joint mechanism
to manage coordination between U.N. agencies and the Sudanese
Humanitarian Aid Commission. They are working to provide assistance to
people affected by the fighting between Sudan’s armed forces and
rebels of the Sudan People's Liberation Movement/Army - North
(SPLM/A-North).

Food, medicine and shelter

Arman stressed that food, medicine and shelter should be given first
priority to save lives in villages where he says thousands of people
are surviving on tree leaves and hiding in mountain caves.

“Humanitarian aid should go immediately and now to those people to
save their lives before talking about development or any other
agenda,’’ he said.

Arman added that scores of people in the Nuba Mountains and in
villages in Blue Nile state have died from disease, lack of food and
constant attacks by Sudan armed forces and proxy militias fighting
alongside government troops. He acknowledged non-governmental
organizations are offering assistance in the area, but said the need
is overwhelming.

“It is a crisis because people are unable to survive, and they may die
and many of them soon because of this policy of mass starvation
practiced by Khartoum,” he said.

Cessation of hostilities to save lives

The SPLM-North secretary-general said his group is ready to sign a
deal with Sudan and aid agencies to avert a humanitarian catastrophe.
He accused the government of showing little commitment to negotiating
a deal to provide humanitarian aid to the region.

“In the first place, we need to have an agreement and see what is the
requirement to take food. Those are our people, and we can do anything
to let the humanitarian aid go to them,” Arman said.

After the rebellion of SPLM-North in South Kordofan and Blue Nile
states in September 2011, Khartoum accused Juba of supporting the
rebels and decided to close the border and ban trade between Sudan and
South Sudan.

Recently Sudan’s Vice President Ali Osman Taha announced his
government plans to declare a state of emergency in the area bordering
South Sudan to prevent what authorities termed as “the smuggling of
food” into the newly independent country.

Khartoum argues that the ban on trade between Sudan and South Sudan
will discourage Juba from supporting SPLA North rebels.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/Half-a-Million-People-Risk-Starvation-in-Sudans-Southern-Kordofan-and-Blue-Nile-States-149239585.html

END1

2. SAF weapons documented in South Kordofan (24 April 2012)

[Report too big to attach; available online at link below]

Small Arms Survey

Documenting large-calibre rockets, cluster bombs, and anti-personnel
landmines used by SAF against SPLA-N in South Kordofan in 2012.

http://www.smallarmssurveysudan.org/pdfs/facts-figures/weapons-tracing-desk/HSBA-Tracing-Desk-SAF-weapons-SK.pdf

END2
______________________
John Ashworth

Sudan, South Sudan Advisor

[email protected]

+254 725 926 297 (Kenya mobile)
+211 919 695 362 (South Sudan mobile)
+27 82 050 1235 (South Africa mobile)
+44 750 304 1790 (UK/international)
+88 216 4334 0735 (Thuraya satphone)

PO Box 52002 - 00200, Nairobi, Kenya

This is a personal e-mail address and the contents do not necessarily
reflect the views of any organisation

--
The content of this message does not necessarily reflect John
Ashworth's views. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, John Ashworth is
not the author of the content and the source is always cited.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "sudan-john-ashworth" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.co.za/group/sudan-john-ashworth

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/SouthSudanKob?hl=en.

Reply via email to