International organizations call on Sudan to give Southerners more time

    Article
    Comments (3)

email Email
print Print
pdfSave
separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 1, 2012 (KHARTOUM) - The international Organization of Migration
(IOM) and UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator Tuesday called on
Sudanese authorities to push the deadline given to stranded South
Sudanese in Kosti port to leave the White Nile state before the 5th of
May.

JPEG - 22.8 kb
A child is pictured while waiting for barges to continue her journey
home from Kosti September 21, 2011. (Reuters°

Kosti with its river port on the White Nile is an important station
for the travelers who head to South Sudan from the north. The barges
transport people and goods from Kosti to Malakal, Bor and Juba.

Since South Sudan seceded last year, over two million South Sudanese
left Sudan through free transportation offered by the government of
South Sudan, but about six months ago, the process slowed and many
NGOs managed to transport thousands by train and by land.

Khartoum and Juba signed in February a memorandum of understanding to
help return of their citizens, and followed by the framework agreement
in March in Addis Ababa that was meant to give the citizens of both
countries the four freedoms, but later revoked.

The call of the two international organizations come after statements
by White Nile State governor Youssef al-Shambali whoset May 5 as
deadline for South Sudanese in the capital of the state to leave
saying they are posing "security ad environmental threat for the state
citizens."

"IOM therefore urges the Government of Sudan to meet this commitment
and to grant more time for the international community to work with
Federal and State level authorities to help South Sudanese in Kosti,
who have clearly manifested their wish to leave Sudan, to move to
South Sudan in safety and dignity.” IOM statement said.

The United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Sudan, Ali
Al-Za’tari in a statement issued Tuesday also expressed his worry over
the fate of South Sudanese stuck in the capital of the While Nile
state.

"Kosti, a major town on the White Nile, is a significant transit point
for South Sudanese returning to South Sudan," said Al-Za’tari."As
those awaiting repatriation from Kosti to South Sudan are in a
vulnerable position and lack many basic services including adequate
shelter, vital and quick collaboration is needed from Sudan and South
Sudan to alleviate the hardship of those stranded in Kosti," he said.

White Nile governor, al-Shambali last week in statement to official
SUNA stressed that he will not push the deadline he gave to
Southerners and other NGOs helping them return to South Sudan.

IOM estimates there are between12 to 15 thousands South Sudanese in Kosti.

The brief occupation of Heglig on 10 April pushed Khartoum to cancel
the talks on the pending issues including the citizenship and a
meeting between Sudanese and South Sudanese presidents in Juba where
they had to sign an agreement on four freedoms.

Sudanese authorities barred barges to leave Kosti port earlier this
year after accusing South Sudan of using the barges to dispatch its
military near the Sudanese border. Khartoum has put conditions to Juba
before it allows barges to leave the port.

There are some 350,000 South Sudanese who still reside Sudan but since
last month are considered as foreigners. However many are without
identity cards that Khartoum requests to regularize their status.

Last month Sudan moved the flights to South Sudan from the domestic
terminal to international terminal, putting new hurdles on those able
to purchase plane tickets.

(ST)

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/SouthSudanKob?hl=en.

Reply via email to