MPs vote for suspension of implicated officials


Wednesday, 13 June 2012 00:24 Lagu Francis South Sudan >>>


.

Members of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) have voted for
current and former government workers who were implicated in
corruption scandals to be suspended from office.



While deliberating President Salva Kiir's Monday NLA opening speech on
Tuesday, the MPs said the 75 government officials should step aside
from their duties as their cases are investigated.

At the opening session of the NLA, Kiir said he would write letters to
current and former civil servants named in corruption scandals,
directing them to account for missing monies, in a bid to fight
corruption.

Two former Ministers; the former Minister of Oil in the then Sudan,
Lual Achuek and Awut Deng of public service and labour in the
Government of the Republic of South Sudan told parliamentarians that
they were among 75 officials who received letters from the President
ordering for the return of stolen money.

"I have declared today in the NLA that I received the letter from the
office of president including my name among the 75. I told the
assembly, I would like them to act. I know how to clear my name. First
of all, I will appeal to the other 74 to go public, "said Achuek.

About USD4 billion has reportedly gone missing which the president
wants returned to the national coffers.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/SouthSudanKob?hl=en.

Reply via email to