Sudan says it will receive Iranian navy warships again

November 26, 2012 (KHARTOUM) – Two Iranian navy warships will dock in
Port Sudan along with a Pakistani one this week, the army spokesperson
Colonel Al-Sawarmi Khalid Sa’ad said today in the second visit of its
kind in a month.
An Iranian navy special forces known as Takavaran wearing a similar
uniform worn by the US military and holding an Israeli made Uzi
sub-machine gun stands guard at the Iranian Corvette Admiral Naghdi as
it docks in the Red Sea Sudanese town of Port Sudan on October 31,
2012 (Getty Images)
Col. Sa’ad told state media that the ships will anchor in the
framework of cooperation of navy and military cooperation with
countries around the world in diplomatic, social and political areas.

The military spokesperson said the ships will stop on the 29th & 30th
of this month and will stay for three days for reasons including
logistics and refueling. He stressed that this is part of the routine
and normal activities of Sudanese navy.

Last month an Iranian destroyer and a helicopter carrier docked in
Port Sudan only few days after Khartoum accused Israel of carrying out
an airstrike in the Sudanese capital.

Sudanese officials at the time denied any link between the visit and
the alleged Israeli airstrike. They also rebuffed Israeli accusations
that Sudan is serving as a hub for Iranian weapons headed to militants
in Gaza strip controlled by Hamas.

But in a sign of internal split over ties with Iran, Sudan foreign
minister Ali Karti criticized in a TV interview his government’s
decision to allow the ships to dock in Sudan. He revealed that
government took by his recommendation earlier this year and refused to
grant permission to Iranian ships.

"In February [of this year] these ships came and asked that it [be
given permission to] anchor in Port Sudan and we got this request
formally in the ministry of foreign affairs," Karti said earlier this
month.

"The view of the Sudanese foreign ministry that these ships should not
[be allowed] to dock and we spoke with the Defense Minister and
submitted our opinion to the President of the Republic and the
decision [was made] that these ships are not to dock [in Port Sudan]"
he added.

Karti said that he found about the Iranian warships visiting the
country "through the media" adding that he was not consulted this
instance.

He warned that Sudan’s relationship with Iran are viewed suspiciously
by Arab Gulf states and hinted that it is in his country’s interest to
downgrade ties with Tehran.

(ST)

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to