Independence “incomplete” without Abyei, says South Sudan forum


May 16, 2013 (JUBA) – Attendees at a high-level conference in South
Sudan have issued a statement, asserting the new nation’s independence
from Sudan “remains incomplete” until Abyei is transferred back to the
South from which it was moved in 1905 under colonial rule.
The region of Greater Bahr el Ghazal is hosting a forum on political
and economic issues (Source: Office of W. Bahr el Ghazal Governor)
Participants at the well-attended regional forum unanimously condemned
the killing of the chief of the Ngok Dinka tribe earlier this month,
accusing Khartoum of “masterminding” the murder.

 As part of a 2005 peace deal, residents of Abyei had been scheduled
to hold a referendum on the status of the fertile, oil-producing area
in January 2011, but Khartoum’s demand that the Misseriya nomads, who
enter the region for part of the year seeking pasture for their
cattle, also be allowed to participate has led to a stalemate over the
emotive issue.

“Greater Bahr El Ghazal and the Republic of South Sudan will not be
complete without Abyei, the solid land of South Sudan. The referendum
of Abyei has to take place as scheduled and we will support Abyei by
all possible means”, said a combined statement from the region’s four
state governors.

Abyei’s borders were defined by international arbitration in 2009 as
the land of the nine Ngok Dinka chiefdoms and a United Nations
peacekeeping mission has been deployed there since 2011 to protect
civilians and oversee the demilitarisation of the area.

The United Nations Interim Force for Abyei (UNISFA) has faced severe
criticism from South Sudan since Ngok Dinka paramount chief Kuol Deng
Kuol was killed by members of an armed Misseriya group while
travelling under their protection in a convoy returning from Kej in
the north of Abyei.

Kuol had been part of a joint delegation from Sudan and South Sudan
which visited the area to hold a consultative meeting on how the two
sides could move towards forming a joint administration, seen as a
prerequisite for the return of people displaced when the Sudanese
military over ran the area in the run-up to South Sudan’s secession.

Abyei’s displaced would need to be returned before a referendum on the
final status of Abyei can be held.

The African Union (AU) has proposed that the plebiscite take place in
October but with only permanent residents permitted to vote,
effectively excluding the Misseriya from participating. This has been
rejected by the Khartoum as the Southern-aligned Ngok Dinka would be
expected to overwhelmingly vote in favour of returning Abyei to South
Sudan.

Kuol’s murder has been widely criticised not only by the UN, AU and
South Sudanese government (SPLM), but also by some in the Sudanese
opposition.

“We strongly condemn the barbaric murder of one of the strong pillars
of the traditional authority in South Sudan, the paramount Chief of
Abyei, Kuol Deng Kuol. We call on the African Union Peace and Security
[Council] and [the] United Nations Security Council to hold the
Republic of Sudan responsible for the killing and ensure the culprits
must be brought to book. The international community should also
ensure that [the] Abyei referendum takes place as scheduled”, the
combined statement adds.

This is the first time governors from the four states of Bahr el
Ghazal have come forward to issue a strong worded statement since the
incident took place earlier this month.

The statement was issued during the regional conference, attended by
hundreds of representatives from the four states of Warrap, Lakes,
Western and Northern Bahr el Ghazal who converged in Wau on Wednesday
to discuss the political, economic and security situation unfolding in
the new country.

The governors in attendance include Paul Malong Awan of Northern Bahr
el Ghazal, Rizik Zachariah Hassan of Western Bahr el Ghazal, Nyandeng
Malek Deliec of Warrap and Lakes state’s military caretaker governor,
Matur Chut Dhuol.

The conference is also hosting the speaker of the national legislative
assembly, James Wani Igga, who is representing South Sudanese
president Salva Kiir.

(ST)

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to