Woman Beaten Over Wearing Trousers
A Kenyan woman in Wau Western Barh el Ghazal State (WBGS) has been
beaten up by security officials for wearing a pair of trousers.
12 December 2013
Woman Beaten Over Wearing Trousers
Wearing of trousers in Wau Town for ladies is prohibited [Gurtong]

By James Deng Dimo

WAU, 10 December 2013 [Gurtong] – This follows the security operation
launched against criminal suspects in Wau last week. The lady who
declined to reveal her name but said she works in a hotel met her
predicament on Monday.

She said she was beaten in the morning hours as she entered Kush
Airline office for a flight ticket to fly to Juba. “I was going to
have a flight ticket from Wau to Juba so that I can go back home for
my brother’s burial who passed away on 5th this month in Kenya,” said
the lady.

“I first saw an army truck at a very high speed going towards the air
port on the same way I was moving. They were in plain green and jungle
green uniforms shouting at the pedestrians to get out of their way.”

“The truck went a few meters past me and stopped. After that they
started speaking to me in Arabic which I could not understand. I don’t
know whom they were talking to while one of them was moving to me.
When he reached me, he started pointing at me with his wooden stick
meaning I had to follow him.

“This is how I realized that they were referring to me. So, I walked
towards where they were, wondering why they were calling me as I could
not reflect on any offence I had committed,” the lady recalled.

She said while approaching the officers, they started beating her with
sticks and ordered her to move into the truck and was driven to the
police station. At the police station, she said she was beaten but a
plain cloth officer came and asked her what she did to which she said
she did nothing.

“I was later told that I was arrested and beaten over wearing trousers
which is forbidden in Wau Town,” she said.

After the intervention of her friend, she alleged a fine of SSP100 was
demanded but she did not have and was later released.

No comment could be got from the security officers by press time but
last week, Wau Town Authorities launched a joint security operation
against criminal suspects aimed at arresting girls wearing trousers,
boys involved in plaiting hair and those found idle in groups.

“We have declared war against “niggas” and anyone found conducting
disco at his home or in the hotel without approval will face a fine of
SSP1, 000 while those involved in disco will face three months
imprisonment,” said Wau Town Mayor Arkangelo Anyar Anyar.









Posted in: Home, Featured Stories

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14op7KFjETzXZYP4uyJ%3Dutbm1X-N46wyg8WuV9bgQ35ZbPw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to