Ugandan leader warns of military action against Machar rebels

    Article
    Comments (17)

email Email
print Print
pdfSave
separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

December 30, 2013 (JUBA) – Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni has
threatened regional military efforts against forces loyal to South
Sudan’s ex-vice-president Riek Machar, if he fails to honour the
ceasefire accorded to him last week.

JPEG - 28.5 kb
Ugandan leader Yoweri Museveni (L) and his South Sudan counterpart
Salva Kiir (AFP/Getty)

Museveni, who held a closed-door meeting with his South Sudan
counterpart in the capital, Juba, said the region would “defeat
Machar” to avert further escalation of the current violence in the
country.

“We gave him [Machar] four days and [agreed that] if he doesn’t
[comply with the agreement], then we shall have to go for him. That is
what we agreed on”, the Ugandan leader told reporters in Juba on
Monday.

He did not, however, elaborate on how the region would quell down the
rebellion, which has quickly spreading to the country’s key historical
towns.

Museveni, a close ally of Kiir, admitted for the first time that he
sent his troops to “help restore hope” in South Sudan, confirming
earlier claims that the Ugandan army was partly involved in the
gruesome conflict.

“Yes, we sent some forces. They are under the orders of President
Salva Kiir, to see how we can help restore order,” Museveni said.

On Friday, Machar told Sudan Tribune that a Ugandan MiG-29 bombed
rebel-held positions around Bor, before they were retaken by forces
loyal to Kiir. He condemned the attack, saying Uganda was interfering
into South Sudan’s internal matters.

The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) regional leaders
have suggested dialogue as the only way of resolving the country’s
conflict, which now claimed more than 1,000 lives and left nearly
60,000 people homeless.

South Sudan’s presidential spokesperson said government had accepted
in principle to cease hostilities and implement all that was
recommended by regional leaders.

“President Museveni’s visit is to come and hear for himself following
the visit of the other African leaders and the subsequent meeting of
the IGAD member countries in Nairobi", Ateny Wek Ateny told Sudan
Tribune on Monday.

"As the government, the president affirmed to him [Museveni] the
readiness to fully implement what the IGAD member countries had
recommended as the way to resolve the conflict," he added.

Ateny accused Machar and his of attacking South Sudan army (SPLA)
positions, contrary to provisions of the ceasefire agreement reached
last week in Kenya.

The country’s cabinet affairs minister said government had indeed
complied with the suggestions and recommendations from the
international community.

“The government accepted in principle to do four things. First, we
accepted to stop hostilities as priority. We also accept to release
political detainees; some of them have already been released. Thirdly,
we accepted and commit ourselves to peaceful dialogue without
preconditions. The fourth one is to provide access to all areas for
humanitarian assistances and operations", Martin Elia Lomuro told
reporters in Juba.

"As the government, we have done almost everything because we value
the lives of our people," he stressed.

Diplomats and the international community view dialogue as the only
way of resolving the worst-ever outbreak of conflict in the country
since its independence in July 2011.

It now remains unclear what trend the conflict is likely to take
should regional leaders form a military coalition against Machar-led
forces.

(ST).