Onyoti: Abolition of minority leader position 'unconstitutional'
JUBA (16 Sep.)

The Minority Leader in South Sudan’s parliament Onyoti Adigo Nyikuac says
cancellation of the position of minority leader in the transitional
legislative assembly is unconstitutional.

This comes after the head of the parliament’s information committee Oliver
Mori announced that the minority leader’s position has been cancelled,
saying the peace deal does not provide for this position. Gabriel Roreech,
chief whip of the other political parties in the parliament also confirmed
that the position was abolished with directives from President Salva Kiir.

Speaking to Radio Tamazuj, the minority leader and leading figure of the
opposition Democratic Change party accused parties of the national agenda
group led by Cabinet Affairs Minister Martin Elia of being behind the move
in the transitional parliament.

”What they are doing is illogic and illegal,” said Adigo.”The transitional
constitution is not yet amended, and the peace agreement is not yet
incorporated into the constitution, because this position is stipulated in
the constitution, “he added.

He explained that the constitutional amendments committee stopped its work
after fighting in July. Adding the Conduct of Business Regulation is still
being amended by a parliamentary committee.

Onyoti Adigo, who is also member of the national alliance of opposition
parties, said their group should also be given the position of chief whip
when the peace deal is incorporated into the transitional constitution of
South Sudan.

He pointed out that they will discuss the new development with President
Salva Kiir and the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC).

 Adigo also accused some members of Kiir’s government of trying to exclude
their group from the unity government. “Everyone is needed to participate
in the government if we honestly need peace, unless we do not want peace,
we have to own this peace, we should speak the language of peace, and not
sedition, “he said.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14oqpo8kPc_KGi59Mxg52%2B%3DbqhKt7Ws_YjhoipTf4p1pYOg%40mail.gmail.com.