Wau state governor in talks with armed groups to end hostilities

    Article
    Comments (0)

email Email
print Print
pdfSave
separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

September 19, 2016 (JUBA) - Governor of the newly created Wau state in
South Sudan said his administration has assembled a committee to hold
direct negotiation with armed opposition groups in the area.

JPEG - 30.9 kb
Andrea Mayar Acho (ST Photo)

Governor Andrea Mayar Achor has revealed that the initiative has the
approval of President Salva Kiir and prominent community leaders in
the state, adding his mission is to ensure peace returns to the state.

“There is no reason to fight this unnecessary war when we can sit down
as brothers and sisters and discuss our issues peacefully. The
president has approved dialogue with brothers and sisters who have
taken up arms. We want to hear from them what they want. These talks
are progressing well,” Achor told Sudan Tribune on Monday.

Religious leaders and community leaders are playing a very important
role, he said, adding “They are leading in these talks. We really want
this unnecessary fighting to stop.”.

The agreement, if reached, will allow armed groups, some allied to
former First Vice President, Riek Machar, to begin mobilizing
themselves to designated assembling points scattered across the state
and be given up to 90 days during which they are expected to begin
handing their weapons over to United Nations-sponsored monitors.

But the still-unknown final accord may contain surprises and the
opposition is likely to try to convert the deal into a referendum on
Achor, whose popularity rating in the area continues to be a dividing
subject.

His supporters, majority of whom comes from his ethnic Luo
particularly in his home area in Udici region, located northwest of
Wau town, the administrative headquarters of the new state, however
sees him as a peace loving person.

A significant portion of politicians from ethnic Dinka in the state
also stands with him. But his critics from the east of the state, home
to his predecessor, see him as a remote controlled governor by members
of the ethnic Dinka holding powerful positions in government.

(ST)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14oq5E_-qKk0ZC31Z_kUSKYf_qDZs91aY1K4vyZCvs9L8TA%40mail.gmail.com.