UNMISS denies ‘promoting criminal activities’
Junior Ali | September 19, 2016
[image: Head of the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), Ellen Margrethe
Løj, briefs the Security Council in May 2015. UN Photo/Rick Bajornas.] Head
of the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), Ellen Margrethe Løj, briefs the
Security Council in May 2015. UN Photo/Rick Bajornas.
The UN Mission in the country has denied accusations by the SPLA that it is
promoting criminal activities in the country.
In different media statements, the SPLA claimed that UNMISS was protecting
armed members of the SPLM in Opposition in its camps.
“UNMISS and the UN are making the environment very conducive for a
rebellion to flourish, and they have become a party to it,” SPLA spokesman
Brig Lu Ruai said.
This follows two recent attacks on the SPLA base in the Jebel Checkpoint in
Juba, on the 9th and the 16th of September.
Last week, the SPLA Spokesperson, Brigadier General Lul Ruai Koang told
reporters that the attackers in both incidents came from the UN camp in
He said no deaths were recorded, but one SPLA soldier was wounded during
the Friday attack.
Mr Lul also accused the UN Mission of continuing to airlift Dr Riek
Machar’s soldiers with their arms, from some areas in the country to the DR
He said: “They put the guns in the boxes; they have been loading them on a
plane and the SPLA IO fighters are boarding the plane. We do not know where
they are transporting them to. This is serious.”
However, UNMISS has rejected the allegations of ‘impropriety’ in its
operations, and in keeping with the UN mandate on protection of civilians,
and the impartial nature of its actions.
In a statement, the UN mission says it responded to both attacks on the
SPLA base in checkpoint by deploying a quick reaction force to prevent the
attackers from entering its camp.
“UNMISS rejects the allegations of impropriety in our operations, and in
keeping with the UN mandate on protection of civilians, and the impartial
nature of our actions,” partly read the statement.
The mission says the attackers, after the Friday the 16th morning incident,
withdrew from the checkpoint and later the SPLA forces deployed to secure
On the second incident on Friday, the mission says it also responded by
giving medical assistance to a wounded South Sudan National Police Service
“UNMISS condemns the continuing violence, and calls on all parties to
respect the ceasefire agreement, to allow the country to move forward and
put personal and political differences aside.”
UNMISS says it conducts regular cordon and search operations in all of its
sites, in keeping with its arms free policy, and have clear entry and exit
It says search operations have been increased in the Juba sites since July
and have yielded positive results.
To post to this group, send email to email@example.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/southsudankob
View this message at
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
To post to this group, send email to SouthSudanKob@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/SouthSudanKob.
To view this discussion on the web visit
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.