Honey production takes sting out of economic crisis in Yei
YEI (20 Sep.)

The value of oil in South Sudan has diminished, but farmers are turning to
another liquid substance for profit: honey.

Elizas Martu, a beekeeper in Tore county of Yei River State, says that he
makes over $200 per jerrican of honey. He harvests the honey three times
per year, earning him much more than other agricultural endeavours.

“Beekeeping is one of the simplest sources of investment and raising
revenue than agriculture,” Martu told Radio Tamazuj. “I make more
harvesting natural honey per every harvest season compared to agriculture,"
and added that the practice does not depend on climatic cycles.

The biggest challenge Martu faces includes a lack of roads, access to big
markets, storage and insecurity. Recently, Yei has seen fighting between
government and opposition forces.

Another beekeeper, Angelina Hawadia, says that selling honey has become her
family's main source of economic livelihood.

“We call on partners more especially those supporting agriculture and
forestry to also consider beekeeping as another source for economic
sustainability,” Hawadia said

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14op0%2BOVxGP7EMNRH5fXjZA65AshfA_V_mtF3j8hVh9PbTA%40mail.gmail.com.