Thousands stranded at Yei Airstrip – Eyewitness
Memoscar Lasuba | September 21, 2016
<http://www.eyeradio.org/thousands-stranded-yei-airstrip-eyewitness/> |
8:44 am
[image: Yei River] Yei River

A man who just arrived from Yei with his family says thousands of people
are stranded at the Yei Airstrip, waiting for flights to Juba.

Goc Wal Lul, 35, says the situation in Yei County is increasingly becoming
difficult, hence forcing people to flee.

Series of gunfights between the army and armed groups led to
the displacement of civilians. The roads linking the state with neighboring
areas have been closed.

This gives those fleeing only one option: air transport. A ticket costs
$100, an amount majority of those fleeing the conflict cannot afford.

Wal brought his family and those of his relatives by air to Juba on Tuesday.

“I brought twenty people and it cost me two thousand dollars,” Mr Wal told
Eye Radio.

“We contributed with our brothers and relatives. They gave me money to go
and bring their families as well.”

On Tuesday, Yei river state information minister Stephen Lado Onesimo said
the army would open the road.

It’s is now not clear whether the road has been opened or not.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14oomRdPsm_p00MtpwYFBMbvcHajSZtQJdccteqmh1qcp4Q%40mail.gmail.com.