Displaced women tell of latest rape
Emmanuel Akile | September 22, 2016
<http://www.eyeradio.org/displaced-women-latest-rape/> | 12:52 pm
[image: UN Jebel camp, which is hosting thousands of displaced people,
mostly women and children] UN Jebel camp, which is hosting thousands of
displaced people, mostly women and children

Some women at the UNMISS camp in Jebel Kujur in Juba say they were raped by
some soldiers in military uniforms over the weekend.

The women say they were coming from the market on Friday when some men in
uniform offered to drop them to Checkpoint.

But on the way, they say they were taken to a nearby bush and raped.  A
youth leader in the UN camp was the first to speak out on this incident.

One of the women who were raped told Eye Radio that they were 25. They say
each was raped by a different soldier.

“On Friday went to Custom and Kony-konyo market to bring some food items.
On our way back we were told that there was fighting at Check-point,” the
unnamed rape victim narrated their ordeals to Eye radio.

“We were on a Bonga bus, which was ordered to turn back. We stopped at Eye
Radio junction. They told us to foot [it to the POC].

“On our way, they said they would drop us to Checkpoint. But unfortunately
they took us somewhere else, in the bush; then every one of them took one
of us.

“They raped us; and we slept there under the trees. In the morning of
Saturday, they dropped us to Checkpoint and we [entered] the UNMISS camp.
They were in military uniform.”

When contacted, the spokesperson of the SPLA, Brigadier Lul Ruai, said he
had no information on the matter.

“I’ve no information, sir; and I’m yet to find out,” Brig Ruai told Eye
Radio. “I’ve no information. I’ve to find out from our authorities at
Checkpoint.”

The youth leader at the UNMISS camp said such incidents happen many times
to women who reside inside the camp. Rape is a criminal offense and is
punishable under the South Sudanese laws.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14orTKS-bX0bX4tJMonu%2BvifETvq%3DWu5MtbCs6YofvBUB4w%40mail.gmail.com.