---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "John Ashworth" <ashworth.j...@gmail.com>
Date: 12 Oct 2016 11:51
Subject: [sudans-john-ashworth] IGAD, Troika and EU on Calls for Armed
Conflict
To: "Group" <sudans-john-ashwo...@googlegroups.com>

Statement of the IGAD, Troika and EU Partners of JMEC Regarding Calls
for Armed Conflict

06/10/16

The IGAD, Troika, and EU partners of the Joint Monitoring and
Evaluation Commission (JMEC) condemn calls by opposition leaders for a
renewal of armed conflict. Further fighting will not solve South
Sudan’s pressing political and economic challenges. It will only
increase the suffering of South Sudan’s people, worsen a grave
humanitarian crisis, and further inflame ethnic tensions.
Both the government and armed opposition groups bear responsibility
for renewed hostilities since July’s clashes in Juba.

We are deeply concerned by heavy fighting around the country in recent
weeks, including near Yei, Wau, Bentiu, and Nassir. We are
particularly alarmed by reports of widespread violence against
civilians. As a result of this violence, more civilians have been
internally displaced and more than one million South Sudanese have now
sought refuge in neighboring countries. Continued conflict in South
Sudan threatens the peace and security of its neighbors and the
region. In line with the Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict
in the Republic of South Sudan, we call on the government and armed
opposition groups to immediately adhere to the permanent ceasefire.

Our governments have repeatedly made clear our shared conviction that
there can be no military solution to South Sudan’s problems. Resolving
South Sudan’s conflicts requires genuine and inclusive dialogue
representing the viewpoints of all South Sudanese people. We therefore
call on the Transitional Government of National Unity and leaders of
opposition groups alike to recommit themselves, consistent with the
peace agreement, to peaceful dialogue based on the following
principles:

- The parties must agree to resolve their differences through a
political process rather than through armed conflict;
- The political process must be inclusive of all parties, communities,
factions, and voices;
- The parties must agree to undertake implementation of the reforms
outlined in the Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the
Republic of South Sudan.

We fully understand that the process of rebuilding trust and
undertaking necessary compromises will a difficult one, and are
prepared to support that process. We firmly believe that South Sudan’s
leaders must finally act to meet the demands of their people and end
this senseless conflict.

Endorsed by:
European Union
Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
Kingdom of Norway
Republic of Kenya
Republic of Uganda
Republic of Sudan
United Kingdom
United States of America

https://www.facebook.com/ukinsouthsudan/posts/1387987777895994

END
______________________
John Ashworth

ashworth.j...@gmail.com

+254 725 926 297 (Kenya mobile)
+211 919 695 362 (South Sudan mobile)
+44 787 976 8030 (UK mobile)
+88 216 4334 0735 (Thuraya satphone)
Skype: jashworth1

PO Box 52002 - 00200, Nairobi, Kenya

This is a personal e-mail address and the contents do not necessarily
reflect the views of any organisation

The content of this message does not necessarily reflect John Ashworth's
views. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, John Ashworth is not the author
of the content and the source is always cited.

group/sudan-john-ashworth
"sudans-john-ashworth" group.
email to sudans-john-ashworth+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sudans-john-ashworth.