South Sudanese President “alive", clarifies spokesperson

ArticleComments (25)EmailPrintSave

October 12, 2016 (JUBA) – South Sudanese President Salva Kiir is alive and
healthy, his spokesman Ateny Wek Ateny said, dispelling rumors that the
former was "dead".

South Sudanese Presidential spokesperson Ateny Wek Ateny addresses
journalists following renewed fighting in Juba July 11, 2016 (Reuters Photo)

“We would like to inform all our citizens that the information which came
few hours ago, in various social media that President Salva Kiir has died
is yet another wishful thinking,” Ateny told the state-owned South Sudan
Broadcasting Corporation.

Social media was dominated by rumors of President Kiir’s ill health and
death on Tuesday, prompting Ateny to respond. Juba became tense when large
number of troops deployed on streets last night.

The President, his office said, held a meeting at state house in Juba on
Tuesday."President Salva Kiir is healthy and is going about is duties
normally. He was in his Office today until 3:00 pm and had no any complaint
about his health," stressed Ateny.

There no public knowledge of President Kiir’s health, widening room of
rumors. But Ateny said he met Kiir after reading about the news of his
demise on the social media.

“On hearing those rumors, I went to his house just to find him reading in
his home Library. So, I would like to inform our citizens to ignore such
rumors mongering and remain focus of their normal duties,” further
explained the presidency spokesperson.

Ateny accused some main stream media, including the Voice of America
(VOA) for fueling news on Kiir’s ill health, allegations Sudan
Tribune could not easily establish.

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit