SPLM-IO says President Kiir’s rejection of Machar not surprising

    Comments (0)

email Email
print Print

President Salva Kiir (R) embraces Taban Deng Gai after his swearing-in
ceremony as FVP at the Presidential Palace in the capital of Juba,
July 26, 2016 (Photo Reuters Jok Solumun)
October 16, 2016 (JUBA) – The recent remarks uttered by the South
Sudanese President, Salva Kiir, against his peace partner and
political rival, Riek Machar, are not surprising at all, claims an
official of the armed opposition faction of the Sudan People’s
Liberation Movement (SPLM-IO).

This came as the opposition’s reaction to President Kiir’s recent
comments on Saturday published by Sudan Tribune on Sunday in which he
rejected the expected return of his former first deputy, Machar, to
the South Sudanese capital, Juba, in order to assume his position as
First Vice President and to continue with the implementation of the
Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan (ARCISS)
which the two leaders signed in August last year, but which has been
interrupted by the renewed violence which erupted from 8 July, 2016,
in the country.

President Kiir on Saturday said he would better work with his new
deputy, Taban Deng, who replaced Machar after the violence, which the
opposition has described as “illegal” and a violation of Articles 6.4
and 6.5 of the agreement. The President called on Machar to denounce
violence or stay away from South Sudan in exile or to simply return to
the country as a “normal citizen” without involving in politics, at
least during the transitional period until 2018.

President Kiir also called on the region and the international
community at large to allow him to instead work with his new deputy,
Deng, who is Machar’s former chief negotiator, whom the President
described as someone “cooperating” with him.

“The region should stand with the Transitional Government of National
Unity to implement the Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in
the Republic of South Sudan. This was the agreement they [regional
leaders and friends] made themselves despite our [re]servations but we
accepted because we wanted peace and stability in this country," said
President Kiir in his residence in Juba, on Saturday, in the presence
of his senior government officials and senior army officers.

"And I believe the events of July should themselves be proof of
concerns which South Sudanese were raising. If they want this
agreement to be implemented, they should allow the current First Vice
President [Deng] and his team to work with me and other leaders ready
to cooperate to implement this agreement," he added.

Media official for the ousted First Vice President, Machar, however
said the comments from the President rejecting Machar’s return to Juba
were not surprising, saying they were in line with his earlier attempt
to eliminate Machar on 8 July at his Republican Palace in Juba and the
subsequent attack he also ordered on Machar’s residence and base on 10
July with tanks and helicopter gunships in order to kill the peace

“What would one expect from the President who in the first place
attempted to assassinate his deputy and peace partner at his
Republican Palace on July 8, and also ordered his forces with tanks
and helicopter gunships to again attack him in his residence, as
confirmed by the United Nations, with the aim to kill him? What would
you expect from President Salva Kiir who persistently attacked and
pursued his deputy in the bushes for 40 days and forced him into
exile? Definitely not only did he not want him as his first deputy
despite the peace agreement’s power sharing arrangement, but also he
did not want him alive,” Machar’s official spokesman, James Gatdet
Dak, told Sudan Tribune on Sunday.

“So his anti-peace comments against Dr. Riek Machar are not
surprising. He does not want him as peace partner, because Salva Kiir
does not want the peace agreement to be fully implemented. He wants a
yes-man to worship him and cooperate with him submissively in avoiding
implementation of the most crucial provisions in the peace deal, such
as the needed reforms, and to help him return the country to war so as
to continue to dictatorially maintain the power through the violence,”
he added.

The official said it was not necessary for President Kiir to ask
Machar to denounce violence when the opposition leader is only
“resisting the violence”, arguing that it should instead be the
president to denounce the violence since he is the one who allegedly
renewed the violence from 8 July and his forces have continued to
attack the opposition’s forces.

He further claimed that President Kiir did not want Machar as his
deputy because Machar wanted the peace agreement to be fully
implemented with all the various reforms as provided for in the
agreement, adding that Kiir wanted Taban Deng who would be cooperating
with the President to only implement what they wanted and avoid what
they did not want in the agreement.

Dak dismissed the complaints that Machar was acting like a
co-president and making Kiir’s life difficult, saying those who
complained about the executive status of Machar per the peace
agreement did not either understand the power sharing provisions in
the agreement or simply disliked the powers given to Machar by the
peace agreement.

“Well, they should understand that by the virtue of his offices as
First Vice President of the Republic, as the Chairman of the SPLM (IO)
party and as the Commander-in-Chief of the SPLA (IO) co-national army,
and the powers vested in him by the peace agreement, of course one
would say, yes, Dr. Riek Machar was like a co-president. And this was
to try to ensure checks and balances in implementing the agreement,
particularly that we were dealing with a dictator who even reluctantly
signed the agreement with countless reservations and also warned not
to implement some of the provisions,” Dak said.

The fact that Machar had to nominate 10 national ministers, 3
governors, a huge number of parliamentarians, an army he commands and
he was put in charge of supervising the implementation of the
agreement and coordinating its implementation with the rest of the
partners in the region and beyond, he said, was what made President
Kiir’s regime to describe him as a “co-president.”

Dak described President Kiir and his “regime” as lucky for violating
the peace agreement with impunity as those who mediated and guaranteed
the agreement have not acted to stop him from the violations and the
continued rejection to work with Machar again.

“I would say President Salva Kiir’s regime is lucky, although I don’t
know for how long they will continue to be gambling. You cannot
attempt to assassinate your deputy and peace partner, killing his
bodyguards, and then attack his residence and force him out of the
capital, replace him illegally, pursue him in the bushes and into
exile and continue to attack his forces as well as innocent civilians
across the country and yet you get away with these serious violations
and crimes,” he said.

He said there are some players in the region and the international
community who do not read the situation correctly.

The current “new regime” in Juba, he claimed, has already returned the
country back to the civil war, saying fighting has continued in many
places in Equatoria, Upper Nile and in Bahr el Ghazal regions, further
claiming that Kiir’s forces are on offensive against the opposition’s
army, the SPLA-IO, and against the civilians too.

He however said it was not up to President Kiir to determine whether
or not Machar would return to Juba, saying the opposition leader will
be in Juba any time soon to save the nation from the “corrupt and
warmongering dictatorial regime” whether the president liked it or

Dak claimed that the government has been targeting civilians which it
was supposed to protect by instead killing, maiming, torturing them,
raping women and young girls and displacing people from their
villages, and “exposing them to extreme hunger and poverty and die
from curable diseases as well.”

The SPLM-IO, he explained, was committed to the full implementation of
the August 2015 peace deal, which he said, President Kiir interrupted
with violence from 8 July, and warned that the opposition will be
forced to end the ongoing mess and bad leadership in the country using
other means.

“We are for peace. We are for resuscitation of the peace agreement.
But if resuscitating the peace agreement will not come to light, we
will be forced to use other necessary options to get to Juba and
liberate the people from this violent, failed leadership,” he said.

He however added that the opposition’s leadership has been calling on
the region and the international community at large to help revive the
peace deal.


To post to this group, send email to southsudankob@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/southsudankob
View this message at 
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to southsudankob+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to SouthSudanKob@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/SouthSudanKob.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to