Gunmen kill humanitarian worker in Eastern Equatoria
TORIT (15 Oct.)

Gunmen in South Sudan have shot and killed a humanitarian worker in
Eastern Equatoria, highlighting the extent to which the violence is
rapidly spreading and engulfing the country. The identity of the group
remains unclear and no group has come out to claim the responsibility.

The incident occurred On Friday 14 October when gunmen shot and killed
a 41 year old staff member of ZOA while traveling from Torit to a
project site in the area. The circumstance under which the unnamed
staff member was shot and killed remains unclear. ZOA’s chief
executive officer issued a statement saying the organization was
deeply saddened to confirm the death of one of her staff members in
South Sudan.

It further clarified that the remaining staff members of the Torit
team are unharmed and back at their base. The deceased, according to
the release, was an agricultural officer for ZOA since 2014. The
statement acknowledged the contribution of the deceased, saying “he
was a dedicated and highly appreciated colleague”. The organization
also expressed disappointment and condemned the incident.

“ZOA strongly condemns this despicable act of violence that has taken
the life of our humanitarian staff member”, said Derk Vermeer, ZOA’s
Chief Executive Officer. “On behalf of everyone at ZOA, we are shocked
and saddened by the news of our colleague’s death. Our sincerest
condolences and prayers go out to all of his family and friends at
this difficult time.” ZOA remain in close contact with his family.

"The safety of our staff members is paramount at this time. ZOA are
closely monitoring the security situation in and around Torit."

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit