National Elections Commission Preparing For Elections
The Spokesperson of the Elections Commission on Friday said that the
National Elections Commission has started preparations for the next
elections.
National Elections Commission Preparing For Elections
Lawrence Sulubia Amin, the Commissioner for Civic and Voter Education
[Photo by Jale Richard]

By Jale Richard

JUBA, 09 September 2017 [Gurtong]-Lawrence Sulubia Amin, also the
Commissioner for Civic and Voter Education said by starting the
process of amending the National Elections Act and the Political
Parties Act, the commission has entered the pre-election period.

“The commission is in the pre-elections period,” he said. “We are now
in pre-election period that is to say enactment of electoral framework
and it needs dissemination. This time we need the dissemination to
reach to the people and up to the constituency so that people are
sensitized. We want all the stakeholders to be sensitized so that
every citizen will know the meaning of elections,” he said.

Apart from amendment of the legal frameworks, Amin said, trainings of
the election commission is going on.

Amin spoke in a discussion organized by South Sudan Network for
Democratic Elections about amendments of the legal provisions in the
National Elections Act and the Political Parties Act.
Amin however acknowledges that there is limited time left for the end
of the transitional period, but hopes the revitalization process will
produce a positive outcome.

“The government is talking of revitalization of the peace agreement.
If it is revitalized, then everything is revitalized,” he said. “We
are optimistic that when the security situation is improved, as now it
is improving, we are hopeful that people will also come back and
participate in the elections.”

He said they have now started the process of amendment of the national
elections act, and the political parties act, which are processes of
the elections. “In all these process, we are optimistic,” he said.

However, Gasper Amule  of South Sudan Law Society, who presented a
draft of the provisions in the elections act to be amended, said for
elections to be democratic, there is need to first have a permanent
constitution because the current constitution is limited to guide
elections.

He said it is practically impossible to conduct credible democratic
elections within the remaining timeframe of the Transitional Period
stipulated in the ARCSS.

He recommends that IGAD extends the transitional period at least to
2019 to give time for the TGoNU to prepare for the elections.

Provisions of ARCSS on elections demand that the Transitional
Constitution of South Sudan 2011 (as amended), the Political Parties
Act, 2012 and the National Elections Act, 2012 be amended, which have
not been done.

The agreement also demands that National Elections Commission and the
Political Parties Council be reconstituted which have also not been
done.

Posted in: Home, Governance

---
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.