Uganda says not aware of SPLM reunification group deadlock

The government of Uganda said it was not aware of any deadlock among
members of the working group comprising members of the three
fragmented factions of South Sudan’s ruling SPLM.

Those who formed a working group for reunification matrix include the
faction loyal to President Salva Kiir, the SPLM-IO breakaway group in
Juba led by Taban Deng and SPLM-FDs, which is a faction made up of
party senior officials who were detained when the conflict began in
December 2013.

Delegates from the three factions of the party had accepted a
reunification initiative mediated by Uganda’s President Yoweri
Museveni to lay out steps toward reunification of the fragmented party
in South Sudan.

Betty Bigombe, a focal point appointed by Uganda’s President on SPLM
reunification, told Radio Tamazuj this afternoon that she was not
aware that the reunification efforts have stalled because the working
group could not come together to work on the  reunification matrix
from one place.

“It is unfortunate because I have not heard of any disagreement on the
location. If they have been trading accusations, they have kept it to
themselves, and not contacted me about it,” she said.

Bigombe pointed out that the meeting between the fragmented SPLM
factions will take place soon in Uganda, pointing out that the Ugandan
president Yuweri Museveni was busy with other commitments that delayed
the reunification meeting.

“As a matter of fact, it was only last night that I contacted
President Museveni to establish his availability so that the meeting
can take place,” said Bigombe.

“We now have to work on the technical aspect of the reunification. It
is a very positive development, it is no longer an issue being in
intensive care unit,” he she added.

The Ugandan official denied knowledge of differences between
representatives of the working group formed to develop the
reunification matrix. “I am not aware of any dispute and if there is
any dispute, none of them has brought it to my attention or to the
attention of President Museveni,” he said.

Earlier this month, the Secretary General of the SPLM-IO faction loyal
to Taban Deng Gai, Dhieu Mathok Diing said the group had not made any
progress because two members of the SPLM-FDs faction who are part of
the working group for reunification matrix failed to show up for a
meeting in Juba.

For his part, the former detainees’ spokesman Kosti Manibe Ngai said
that the reunification meeting did not take place because two teams
from Juba failed to show up in Uganda.

---
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
to southsudankob+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.