> The coffee and western omellet with tobasco sauce seemed particulary delicious that
> morning.  But then, it was, as likely as not, the combination of the company he was
> keeping and the feeling that he had somehow turned exhibitionist.

Perhaps it was residual from the mindmeld, or perhaps she simply shared
his discomforture.  She smiled and gently squeezed his hand.

<*snip*>

> The remaining band, though, was a claddagh, on his right pinkie, that he'd bought a
> long time ago intending to give it as a gift to a woman who had chosen that
> unfortunate timing to prove herself unworthy of the gift, so he'd kept it.
>
> Now, he slid it off his finger and gently took the hand covering his.  "May I?" he
> asked her.

She understood the Terran custom.  <Of course,> she replied.

> He opened his mouth as if to say something, but the commbadge interrupted him.
>
> </\>   "Basco to Brennan.  I am sorry to bother you before you headed in for
> rounds, but I just had a strange visit from Admiral Lasiter.  He wants to see
> you and I up in his office when you get in this morning.  He was acting,
> well... pre-occupied would be about right...  I thought that you would want to
> know asap."
>
> Matt frowned.  That was odd.  "Thank you, Mary," he replied.  "Can you meet me there
> in five minutes?"
>
> "No problem, boss.  Basco out."
>
> Matt looked to Carrhae.  "Ummm...."

"Go.  We will talk later."

(response)

-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-
       .   |  *     Randye Jones
         . |)  .    http://www.atouchofclassics.com
      .   /|  .     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       . ( | )  .
     .   . |  .     "Hate is not a family value."


Reply via email to