Jan Pazdziora wrote:
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:22:06AM -0700, Mike McCune wrote:
For any development setups you will need to do the following:

1) Apply the following schema updates:

spacewalk/scripts:

./schema-updater --connect=<your db connect string> --dir=/home/mmccune/devel/spacewalk/schema/spacewalk/upgrade/spacewalk-0.3-spacewalk-0.4/ --start=111

By the way, why do we have the exact same script in
spacewalk/java/scripts/schema-updater as well? Shouldn't we keep
one copy of that script, only, to avoid confusion?

I thought Partha removed the one from java/scripts.  Guess he didn't.

I further wonder why not to use the spacewalk-schema-upgrade script.
I know that schema-updater was supposed to be more feature rich, but:
you should be able to achieve the start / end behaviour with
spacewalk-schema-upgrade by creating new directory with symlinks,
and more importantly: we expect our users to use
spacewalk-schema-upgrade to upgrade their Spacewalk Servers, and
expect our customers to use it to upgrade their Satellites. Any
testing or improvements we can give to spacewalk-schema-upgrade
will bring benefits to our users and customers.

Could we try to eat our own dog food?

sure. Partha, can you speak to the above? Why do we need 2 scripts that do essentially the same thing? I know you had said it was 'for developers only' and not meant for upgrading between actual versions.

Seems better to just have one that works well for both.
MIke
--
Mike McCune
mmccune AT redhat.com