On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:45:42PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.  On this page:
>
>       https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/PostgresTechnicalApproach
>
> we list the four query types:
>
>    1. work unchanged in both Oracle and Postgres
>    2. can be rewritten to work on both databases, e.g. ANSI joins,
>       CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, CASE instead of decode(), COALESCE instead of NVL()
>    3. (same) but requires db changes, e.g. add compatibility functions
>       from Orafce
>    4. need to create a Postgres-specific version of the query
>
> Previously I mentioned decode() in #3, but I have now updated the wiki
> to mention the use of CASE intead of decode, etc.  I think we should be
> doing #3 only if we can't easily rewrite the query to be a #2.

Any change which requires #2 will need to be QA'ed in Oracle /
Satellite as well. While it is a noble goal to have the codebase in
pure ANSI syntax, milestone-wise it will be much more feasible to
start with compatibility layer (#3) first and not depend on #2.

Including for DECODE.

--
Jan Pazdziora
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat