On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 08:36:05PM +0200, Sandro red Mathys wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Cliff <cpe...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > I'd be interested in knowing if there is any general guideline from Fedora
> > for package maintainers that we would need to adhere too?
>
> I'm pretty sure the fedora guidelines only state to add a new entry
> with every new release but does never say if or when you should remove
> old entries nor that you have to keep them forever.
>
> So I asked spot who wrote most of that guidelines and is sort of
> responsible for that stuff:
>
> > hi spot, I was looking at the guidelines regarding the removal of old
> > changelog entries but I didn't find anything on that matter. Do you think
> > it would be okay to remove entries that are >1 year old?
> < if you do, put them in a file and put the file in the package
> < and put a note in the rpm changelog that says something like:
> < * package changelogs older than June 2009 can be found in
> Fedora.Changelog.txt

I do not think this really applies. Fedora's changelog entries are
entries for changes done for given version of the package, basically
describing changes done for the releases for one primary .tar.gz
version. For example, on my Fedora 12,

        $ rpm -q --changelog perl | tail -3
        * Thu Nov 29 2007 Robin Norwood <rnorw...@redhat.com> - 4:5.10.0_RC2-0.1
        - first attempt at building 5.10.0

        $ rpm -ql perl | grep -i changelog | wc -l
        0

When perl was rebased to 5.10, new .tar.gz was put into Source*, and any
changelog entries for older perls were dropped.

With Spacewalk, we bump the version with every release, which means
that we rebase with every new rpm we build. All packages where
Spacewalk is the upstream have release equal to 1. So if we were
following the Fedora example, we would never have more than one item
in the %changelog, because after all, "this rpm has vanilla upstream
package and vanilla upstream .tar.gz", with no changes.

I believe that storing the older changelog entries in an extra file
is not needed. They don't include the full history anyway (we weren't
that good maintaining the changelog in the past, so there are gaps
there), and as the sources are available, it's possible to get
the logs and exact changes from the git repo anyway.

Currently I'm planning on removing changelog entries for 0.4 and
earlier.

--
Jan Pazdziora