On 26/07/13 14:05, Tomas Lestach wrote:
> How can we be sure, that you cover all the Spacewalk pages, if you focus
> on downstream, that has a different set of pages?
> If the sent patch was against Suse Manager, I suppose that you do not
> really work with Spacewalk itself.
> So, are you going to verify the upcoming work only on Suse Manager
> or on Spacewalk as well?

Yes, we do all development on SUSE Manager and then rebase against
master what we want to upstream. It makes total sense.

- Spacewalk code is very "distro" oriented. It is not possible right now
to "run" it from the source tree. It needs packaging and "productizing"
in order to run it. Spacewalk is very tied to Fedora in this regard.
Running vanilla Spacewalk on SUSE would be a big effort and %ifdefs in
the spec files (like they are in our tree. /srv/www vs /var/www anyone)

- If you do a feature in Spacewalk master, you just do it and commit it.
We have to ask for review and then the feature may not be accepted.
Therefore the inverse work-flow, cherry-picking in our tree what looks
good to upstream, makes more sense.

- Stuff like porting pages, happened as the side-effect of features we
will have anyway in our tree but we don't know yet if we will be
accepted upstream, so we can't start the other way around, and we can't
decide whether we do or not a feature based on whether upstream will
take it or not (like it happened with SSH push).

Of course this may change in the future and at some point it may be more
productive to develop on Spacewalk master.

We should really figure out a "run from source" here :-)

Now, going back to how we would do the Bootstrap work, I guess it would
make more sense to do it in Spacewalk master, but I haven't really
thought how to do it. May be just develop on a Fedora platform for this
specific case.

Now, SUSE Manager pages are not that different. We have additional
pages, but the existing ones are more or less the same. Some features we
are working on for first time touches fragments of pages everywhere, and
that is the reason why we may not make much of a difference in terms of
conflicts by merging the bootstrap stuff.

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - http://www.suse.com/

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix
Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany