On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 14:22:53 -0500, James Krych <james.w.kr...@gmail.com>
wrote

>So if I understand this correctly, I already have the packages installed
for the client in
>question. Using this script will both install the packages and register
the client?

>Respectfully,

>James

As long as you have the packages where they're expected. Not a problem for
the Ubuntu 16.04 packages since it can pick them up off the Internet
repos. But since the Spacewalk client isn't in the Ubuntu 18.04 repos, it
tries to download them from the spacewalk server (you need to edit the
variable at the top of the script to be your server name). I kind of
hacked our script a bit to replace the server name with the variable, so I
admittedly haven't tested the modified script. You may need to correct
some minor errors but it should get you started.

And James earlier also wrote:

>Since I have two types of clients, Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04, do I need two
different activation keys? I currently do have one setup.

What do you have set up for the Base Channel for that activation key? I
don't know/remember if the Spacewalk Default works for Ubuntu versions and
CentOS like it does for Red Hat EL and Fedora.  I doubt it since the
support for Ubuntu is limited.

"Choose 'Spacewalk Default' to allow systems to register to the default
Red Hat provided channel that corresponds to their installed version of
Red Hat Enterprise Linux. You may also choose particular Red Hat provided
channels or custom base channels here, but please note if a system using
this key is not compatible with the selected channel, it will fall back to
its Red Hat default channel."

We created 4 activation keys, 1 for CentOS 7 and one for each of the
in-use LTS versions of Ubuntu. On the Child Channels tab of the activation
key, we selected the child channels (i.e. xenial-spacewalk-client,
xenial-universe, xenial-security, xenial-security-universe) that we want
to be enabled on servers by default. When the server is registered, in
most cases the server will only need to be added to a system group, unless
it needs a special channel/repo for a PPA.  The script also disables the
corresponding main/universe Internet sources in /etc/sources.list. If you
also have channels for multiverse, you would want to add a perl -pi line
to comment out the multiverse sources.

That appears to work for us, but you would need to figure out what your
needs (and resource constraints) are and adjust accordingly.

Cheers,

Paul-Andre