At 02:15 PM 1/30/2004, Sloan, Craig wrote:
>Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it
>deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod
>are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and
>lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a
>total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
>Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
>lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
>amzanig huh?

Actually, that study that's being talked about in an email doesn't exist. There's something in the Trends in Cognitive Science journal about it, that discusses why that email is actually as readable as it is. I'd try to pass on the knowledge, but while I may work in a lab that does psycholinguistics, that doesn't mean I understand it enough to pass it on. But the short story is there's no such research at Cambridge.

(The irony here is that this was being talked about in the lab where I work earlier today, and when I mentioned this email someone in the lab was able to hand me to article from Trends. Unfortunately the journal is only available online with subscription.)