Sam Clippinger wrote:
> You're reading the correct section.  The third and fourth paragraphs
> describe "reject-unresolvable-rdns", which is the filter that was
> triggered in your example.  The text doesn't actually use the term "A
> record", instead saying that spamdyke "attempts to get an IP address
> from the name".  When I wrote it, I was trying to limit my use of jargon
> as much as possible.  I guess I should rewrite it if it's so unclear.

It appears clearer to me now, but I think it could read a little better.

"This test only attempts to get at least one IP address from the name. It
does not require the rDNS name's IP address to match the remote server's IP
address."
might be replaced with
"This is done by using the rDNS name to lookup a corresponding IP address.
It does not require the corresponding address to be the same as the remote
server's IP address, only that the rDNS name correspond to an IP address (or
more specifically, a type A DNS record) of some sort."

> Paragraphs five through ten describe "ip-in-rdns-keyword-file" and the
> last paragraph describes "reject-ip-in-cc-rdns".

I think I could make those read a bit better. Let me know if you'd like me
to take a stab at it and we can work it out off list.

> The two rules you're wanting are already there --
> "reject-unresolvable-rdns" and "ip-in-rdns-keyword-file".  The former
> only checks for an A record from the rDNS name.  The latter checks for
> the IP address in the rDNS, plus a keyword from the file.

I see that now. I think I may have been having a bit of a brain fart
yesterday. ;)

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

-Eric 'shubes'