I found the problem.  gcc on FreeBSD (at least versions 4.7 and 2.2.2)
doesn't seem to use the same format specifiers for parsing 64 bit
integers that every other Unix uses.  Everything compiles without
errors, but when spamdyke loads the integer values from the
configuration file and tries to evaluate them, it ends up with
mostly-uninitialized values.  The final values are random (depending on
the values left in memory by the operating system when spamdyke started)
but they typically fall well outside the acceptable ranges.

I've updated the "configure" script to detect this situation and work
around it.  I'm testing the changes now and I'll release a new version
tomorrow morning if the scripts don't reveal any errors.

-- Sam Clippinger