Port 25 needs to accept email for local domains without authentication
so that incoming mail can be delivered. email coming into port 25 for
remote domains (relay) should be rejected under normal circumstances,
otherwise your server would be an open relay.

If you want all users to authenticate even when they're sending to local
domains, then you need to configure the submission port 587 for such
use. That is what port 587 is for.

Which flavor of qmail are you running? (QMT, QMR, LWQ)

--
-Eric 'shubes'