It's my understanding (which may be faulty) that spamdyke always creates a 0 byte file the first time it gets mail from the domain. When it sees another email from that domain (after the prerequisite graylist-min-secs delay) then it puts the sending server into the file and allows the mail to go through as long as mail comes from that exact server. This is why you sometimes see multiple servers listed in the graylist file. Spamdyke does clean up these files periodically (as set by graylist-max-secs)

My guess is that this file was protected, preventing spamdyke from doing it's job. This could happen if someone changed the owner of the file or it's permissions.

Gary