This is correct, with one small addition -- the "MAIL first" message is not
coming from spamdyke.  That message is being generated by qmail, which is why
spamdyke logs it with DENIED_OTHER.

If you want to figure out exactly what's going on, you could turn on spamdyke's
full logging to capture the entire session.  It will generate a log file for
every connection, so you'll have to search to find the one you want, but it'll
show every byte that goes through and exactly what spamdyke does with it (along
with plenty of other debugging data).  There is a remote possibility this
sender's software is sending the "MAIL FROM" command in a way spamdyke can't
parse, causing it to eat the input and never send it to qmail, but the full log
would show it either way.  The option to enable that feature is "full-log-dir".

-- Sam Clippinger