To address Harald's point, we should simple add something like "static" and
"variable" attributes to the "mod_aminoacid_mass" elements as below.  I
think it makes a lot of sense to do something like this especially if we're
going to be adding other (optional?) attributes such as "source".

   <mod_aminoacid_mass position="6" mass="181.014010" variable="79.966331"
 source="peff"/>
   <mod_aminoacid_mass position="10" mass="166.109380" static="57.021494" />
   <mod_aminoacid_mass position="14" mass="176.109380" static="57.021494"
variable="10.00000" source="param" />

The only issue I see with something like this that n-terminal and
c-terminal static and variable modifications are handled differently and
there's no good way to denote the static and variable modifications on
them.  Back in January on the spctools-dev group, I brought up this issue
with respect to terminal mods.  They're really no different than amino acid
modifications but there just needs to be a way to denote the terminal
positions.  There was objection to change where the proposed change was
removing the "mod_nterm_mass" attribute from the "modification_info"
element and encoding the terminal mods the way we do amino acid mods:

   <mod_aminoacid_mass position="n" mass="230.170757" static="229.162932" />

Is there an adequate, backwards compatible work-around where terminal
static and variable modifications can be encapsulated?  To keep things as
backwards compatible as possible, we can leave the existing
"mod_nterm_mass" and "mod_cterm_mass" where they are and simply allow
terminal mods to be represented as above?  If a non-integer "position"
value is an issue then use "0" to represent the n-term and whatever the
integer value of peptidelength+1 to represent the c-term?