Martin - you read my mind, as I was just about to send an update of the
outstanding OSI-SPDX License List issues.  I'm copying Karl Fogel, John
Cowan, as they are on the original string helping with these issues, as
well as the "license-discuss" list for OSI.

Complete list (combining yours and mine) of outstanding issues as follows,
with past commentary and questions indicated with"-->"

1)  Apple Public Source License 1.0 & Apple Public Source License 1.1

> Was this ever OSI approved?  Note at top of fedora url says: This
> license is non-free. At one point, it could be found at
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/1.0.txt, but that link now
> redirects to APSL 2.0. A copy of the license text has been taken
> from archive.org's October 01, 2007 revision.

> > The Archive shows that APSL 1.2 was approved.  Wikipedia claims that
> > APSL 1.0 was also approved, but gives no authority for this statement.
> > That also matches my recollections (there was a considerable fuss at
>the
> > time, because it was OSI-approved but not FSF-free, the first of the
>new
> > licenses with that property).

--> do I understand correctly that neither 1.0 nor 1.1 were OSI approved?
A little confused by email comments/string, can someone from OSI clarify?

2) Artistic License 1.0

Karl/John/OSI:
  > OSI approved, but only can find license on the "superseded licenses"
  > category list.
  >
  > Also note that Perl link has 10 clause version of license, whereas
  > OSI link has 9 clause with note at top about additional clause.  for
  > searching/templating reasons, these should probably be listed as two
  > different licenses. Suggest naming as follows:
  > Artistic License 1.0 (Perl) // Artistic-Perl-1.0
  > Artistic License 1.0 // Artistic-1.0
  >
  > thoughts?

Excellent idea, except maybe we should put the "(Perl)" before the
version number, since "Perl" describes a flavor of the license and that
flavor could conceivably happen to other versions, though we hope not.
That would also match the proposed SPDX short name.  Thus

  Artistic License (Perl) 1.0 // Artistic-Perl-1.0
  Artistic License 1.0        // Artistic-1.0

Would that work for you?

For now I've renamed http://opensource.org/licenses/artistic-license-1.0
to opensource.org/licenses/Artistic-1.0, edited it to link correctly to
the superseding version (Artistic-2.0), and to link to a new page
opensource.org/licenses/Artistic-Perl-1.0.

Now, independently of the above, there is a serious bug in the Perl
clause, and while I understand why it was OSI-approved, I think the OSI
approved its *intended* meaning rather than its textual meaning.

This should really be a separate thread, but I want to at least write it
down here now, so there's a record of it somewhere:

The OSI page above says:

  | Some versions of the artistic license contain the following clause:
  |
  |   8. Aggregation of this Package with a commercial distribution is
  |   always permitted provided that the use of this Package is
  |   embedded; that is, when no overt attempt is made to make this
  |   Package's interfaces visible to the end user of the commercial
  |   distribution. Such use shall not be construed as a distribution of
  |   this Package.
  |
  | With or without this clause, the license is approved by OSI for
  | certifying software as OSI Certified Open Source.

That's great, except s/commercial/proprietary/ :-(.  What the text
obviously means is "proprietary", and furthermore, if it were to be
interpreted literally as "commercial", then it would (to my mind) be
clearly not open source.

I'm not sure what to do about this now.  I just wanted to mention it.
Any review of old licenses, such as you have done, is bound to turn up
issues like this.  Thank goodness it's an issue with Artistic-Perl-1.0
and not with, say, GPL-2.0 :-).

JL/SPDX:
in regards to adding a new license/version for Artistic License (Perl) 1.0
­ this is a good idea and your naming suggestions are inline with the
naming protocol for SPDX, so that's all good. BUT one problemŠ the actual
license on the Perl site (http://dev.perl.org/licenses/artistic.html ) is
not the same as the one here
(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/Artistic-Perl-1.0) --> the OSI perl
version is simply the Artistic License 1.0 verbatim with the additional
clause.  However, the license on the Perl site has other differences.  I'm
attaching a Word document with a merge and compare between the OSI
Artistic Perl and the Perl site Artistic Perl licenses

--> anyone know what to do about this?  I feel like the one on the Perl
site should be captured, but what about the OSI variation?  For the
moment, I'm not adding the Artistic Perl license to the SPDX License List
until this is sorted out, as I don't want to add one and then have to
change it later.
--> There also appears to be a "Clarified Artistic License" which is
different yet again.  That is on the SPDX license list already (and
assumed to NOT be OSI approved)

3) GNU Library General Public License v2

>    > Was this ever OSI approved?
>
>I don't know.  I suspect the answer to that one would not be so hard
>to find, but I want to plough to the end of this spreadsheet right now
>and get these responses posted.  I did a cursory search on the OSI
>site and didn't find any evidence of approval.  Anyone here know about
>LGPL-2.0?

The differences between 2.0 and 2.1, other than the name (GNU Library
vs. Lesser Public License) are entirely editorial.  I can provide a list
of them for anyone who wants it.

--> so, is that a yes, it's OSI approved?

4) Zlip/libpng license

OSI lists the "zlib/libpng" license as OSI approved here -
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/Zlib ­ this text is the same as the
actual zlib license, see here: http://zlib.net/zlib_license.html.
 However, the libpng license, while incorporating some of the same text as
the zlib license, has a different disclaimer and additional text, see
here: http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/src/libpng-LICENSE.txt
As a result, SPDX lists these licenses separately, that is: zlib License
(OSI approved) http://spdx.org/licenses/Zlib and libpng License (not OSI
approved) http://spdx.org/licenses/Libpng
Yet, the libpng license text actually states that it is OSI approved.

--> so, first question is: was the libpng license (separately or
specifically) OSI approved?  If so, can we list it separately?

--> Either way, can we name the two licenses to avoid confusion? (see old
string re: this naming issue here -
http://old.nabble.com/FW%3A--png-mng-implement--zlib-libpng-license-name-td
24275146.html)

5) Jabber Open Source License v1.0 ­ when going through the FSF list, we
decided to add and in doing so noticed the archived text here
(http://archive.jabber.org/core/JOSL.pdf) is not the same as the OSI has
on their site (it was OSI approved).  We decided because it's an old
license to hold off and not add to list yet - and resolve with OSI (with
goal of having on list b/c it was OSI approved and we endeavored to have
all OSI licenses on SPDX list, even if old). license text also can be
found at: http://code.google.com/p/jabber-net/wiki/FAQ_License

--> what to do about this?

5) adding missing OSI-approved licenses to SPDX License List: he MITRE
Collaborative Virtual Workspace License (CVW License) and Reciprocal
Public License, version 1.1

--> yes, we should add those; will bring it up on call this morning (in a
few minutes...)

6) missing short identifiers on OSI website or in OSI urls - I have noted
some where the url did not have the short identifier in the spreadsheet
version of the SPDX-LL, Martin - I can help you with that, if it's not
obvious.

I'd love to start getting all of these resolved - OSI folks, please let me
know what I can do to facilitate, help, etc.!!

Cheers,

Jilayne