On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 03:15:44PM -0400, Wheeler, David A wrote:
> J Lovejoy:
> > Thanks Bradley.  Your point re: other licenses building in a de
> > facto “or later” clause versus the GPL family of licenses leaving
> > the choice to the copyright holders is exactly the thing I wanted
> > to confirm and is also (I think, but need to do more thinking on
> > this) why the GPL family may indeed need it’s own unique
> > treatment.
> >
> > Deprecating “GPL-2.0” for use of “GPL-2.0-only”, along with the
> > use of the existing “GPL-2.0+” is what I’m leaning towards....
>
> Please DO NOT deprecate "GPL-2.0". DO NOT DO THIS.  If you do, we'll
> have *exactly* the same problem again in a few years.
>
> We need at least *3* cases.  Here they are, with potential
> names/expressions:
> * GPL-2.0-only.  I *know* that *only* the GPL version 2.0 is
>   acceptable.  I had originally proposed a "!" suffix.
> * GPL-2.0+.  I *know* that GPL version 2.0, or later, is acceptable.

How could you know this before GPL-4.0 has been written?  Maybe I'm
just not clear on what your “acceptable” means.

> * GPL-2.0.  I *know* that at least GPL version 2.0 is acceptable
>   (e.g., I found its license text).  However, I'm not entirely
>   certain whether or not later versions are acceptable, so I make
>   *no* assertion either way.

If you've audited both GPL-2.0 and GPL-3.0 for your package and want
the "or later" language to include GPL-4.0, etc. when they get
written, you could say [1]:

  GPL-2.0+ OR GPL-3.0+

but whether you've read the license or deem it “acceptable” seems
orthogonal to whether you're granting the “or any later version”
choice defined in the GPL (§14 as of GPL 3.0 [2]).

Back in 2013, Mark pointed out that GPL-2.0+ is not a license [3],
which means you're not going to be able to distinguish between
GPL-2.0+ and GPL-2.0-only (or whatever) by scanning for license text
[4].  So I'd rather:

* Leave GPL-2.0 as the license identifier.

* Add '+' and '-only' suffixes to support folks who want to be
  explicit (e.g. who don't trust readers to be familar with baked-in +
  semantics).

  CC-BY-SA-3.0+ would be a synonym for CC-BY-SA-3.0 [6], but I don't
  see a problem with that.  It would probably be useful to call that
  out in the wording that forbids the -only suffix for CC-BY-SA-3.0…

* Forbid '-only' for licenses that bake in some forbidding wording
  (e.g. the “Adapter’s License” conditions in CC-BY-SA-4.0's §3.b
  [5]).

  You'd need a formal exception to get around that wording
  (e.g. CC-BY-SA-4.0 WITH CC-only-this-version-exception) or your own
  name if the CC's alteration wording would not allow ‘CC-BY-SA-4.0
  WITH additional-restrictions’ [7].

Then tools like [4] can cleanly say that they're guessing the
appropriate license identifier (e.g. “we found GPL-2.0”), but are not
attempting to construct the appropriate license expression for the
package (e.g. “this package is GPL-2.0+” or “this package is
GPL-2.0[-only]”).  To distinguish between *those* you'd need to look
for the “or any later version” grant.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://spdx.org/spdx-specification-21-web-version#h.jxpfx0ykyb60