On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 12:23:43PM +0000, Phil Odence wrote:
> The SPDX License List includes a list of Exceptions. These
> Exceptions are commonly-granted permissions beyond those normally
> granted in a license. (They are not stand-alone licenses.)
> Exceptions are added to a license using the License Expression
> Syntax operator "WITH."

This sounds good to me, although I don't see a need to parenthesize
the stand-alone sentence.  I also think there may be room for
confusion around whether “a license” includes the exception or not.
And the exception list is distinct from the license list (although
both are currently tracked in the same repository).  How about:

  The SPDX Exception List includes a list of Exceptions. These
  Exceptions are added to a License using the License Expression
  Syntax operator "WITH" to grant additional permissions beyond those
  already given in the License that the Exception modifies.

If we restrict exceptions to only granting additional permissions, we
probably also want to adjust the License Expression wording, which has
[1]:

  Sometimes a set of license terms apply except under special
  circumstances.  In this case, use the binary "WITH" operator to
  construct a new license expression to represent the special
  exception situation.

The current License Expression wording would cover an exception like
“but I grant no license to users whose first name starts with the
letter A” which would not be covered by the proposed
additional-permissions wording.  And it would be good to keep the
wording for WITH in the License Expression appendix close to the
wording used to introduce the Exception list.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://spdx.org/spdx-specification-21-web-version#h.jxpfx0ykyb60