From: spdx-legal-boun...@lists.spdx.org
[mailto:spdx-legal-boun...@lists.spdx.org] On Behalf Of g...@sourceauditor.com
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2017 9:47 AM
To: 'SPDX-legal' <spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org>
Subject: License checking tool available

An online tool for checking license text against the SPDX license list is now
available at https://spdx.org/spdxweb  The URL redirects to a server generously
provided by the Openchain project team.

The tool basically compares the text to all SPDX listed licenses using the
license matching guidelines.  If a license does not completely match per the
guidelines, it will not e displayed.  This is quite different from many other
tools that report close matches where only a few words may be different.

There are a few limitations.  The software uses the templates in the listed
license for the currently published version.   In the currently published
version, there are several licenses with limited or no template markup (e.g.
the MIT<https://spdx.org/licenses/MIT.html> license).  For these licenses, the
text will only match if all of the text is present.  If you believe text should
match the license, take a look at the license list web page for that license
and review for red text (replaceable) and blue text (omitable).

Let me know if you have any questions.

If you run into any issues, feel free to add them to the spdx-tools issues
list: https://github.com/spdx/tools/issues

Gary

Gary O'Neall
Principal Consultant
Source Auditor Inc.
Mobile: 408.805.0586
Email: g...@sourceauditor.com<mailto:g...@sourceauditor.com>

Western Digital Corporation (and its subsidiaries) E-mail Confidentiality
Notice & Disclaimer:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential or
legally privileged information of WDC and/or its affiliates, and are intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the e-mail in its entirety from your system.