On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 12:01:32PM +0000, Zavras, Alexios wrote:
> Besides the case of GPL version numbers, isn't the issue similar to
> when we have cases like where you have a package that simply says
> "This program is under the BSD license"

This is definitely a similar case.  The difference is that the GPL
family have internal wording for this case [1], while the BSDs do not.

> The author "declared" something, but the SPDX spec is not really
> useful, since the value of the field is a license (or a license
> expression) and not a free form text. None of the licenses in the
> SPDX license list can be used as "PackageLicenseDeclared". Do we put
> a list of the 15 or so BSD variants, or disregard the declaration by
> stating "NOASSERTION"?

I would say NOSSERTION, because I don't think you're discarding much
information.  If you wanted to represent this case, you'd need a new
license expression operator for “or maybe they meant”.  That doesn't
seem particularly actionable to me, and I'd want to take a closer look
at a project if the best-estimate (a trusted conclusion when we have
one, and a declared call or unreliable conclusion when we don't)
involved such an operator.

> Taking it further, suppose that by looking at the actual wording of
> the license text in files, you might decide that the author is
> talking about BSD-3-Clause-No-Nuclear-License (in the nice case
> where all the files use the same text). But isn't this a "Concluded"
> rather than a "Declared" field?

If there are license terms in the header that match
BSD-3-Clause-No-Nuclear-License, then that seems like a pretty clear
declaration of BSD-3-Clause-No-Nuclear-License for those files, and
that would go in LicenseInfoInFile.  I think that could inform your
concluded package license, but it should not impact the declared
package license.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: