J Lovejoy [mailto:opensou...@jilayne.com]:
> If this is a potential problem once GPL-2.0 is changed to GPL-2.0-only, then
> it is currently a problem.

Yes indeed, that's my point :-).

> And perhaps by altering the current identifier (GPL-2.0) to be more explicit
> (GPL-2.0-only) we will expose just how often GPL-2.0 has been used
> incorrectly.

The tools are currently *required* to be incorrect, because they cannot report
the information they have ("I have GPL-2.0, and I don't know if 'or later'
applies").  Neither the proposed "GPL-2.0-only" nor "GPL-2.0+" correctly
represents the information they have.  Tools will have to output *something*,
and whatever they produce will dilute in *practice* the strict meanings of
those license identifiers.

--- David A. Wheeler