On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 08:10:02AM -0700, J Lovejoy wrote:
> Just a reminder to all: when someone places a copy of the GPL,
> version 2 alongside source code files this does not make the
> licensing ambiguous; clearly there is a valid license…
>
> Any scenario you could interpret, we have a way to express that
> currently and would still under the proposal.
>
> … https://opensource.com/article/17/11/avoiding-gpl-confusion

I think a copy of the GPL alongside source code (e.g. [1]) is
ambiguous.  And the article you link mentions “confusion” in the URL,
“foggy” in the title, and “ambiguity” in the subtitle.  I agree that
you can, like Fedora, decide that you are comfortable enough with one
interpretation.  But I think Gary has volunteered himself for the “I'd
write partially-concluded license expressions, but there's no syntax
for it yet” camp [2].  The FSF itself is unwilling to commit to a
public position on this situtation (as far as I'm aware).  So I think
there is likely to be a substantial set of license-expression authors
who are unwilling to claim a complete conclusion.  Is this point still
under contention?

If we accept a substantial set of partial-concluders, the SPDX needs
to decide what to suggest to them.  Folks using SPDX documents can
already use comment sections, but those are unstructured [3].  And
folks using bare license expressions obviously don't have access to
the SPDX-document comment field.  We can tell them:

a. That they cannot pass the partial conclusion along, and can only
   bail out with NOASSERTION (I've filed [4] to add that to license
   expressions).
b. That they can pass the partial conclusion along, using:

   i. an AMBIGUOUS[-VERSION] operator, or
   ii. an OR-MAYBE operator,

   as discussed in [5].

I see no upside to (a), but I'm not an SPDX maintainer.  I strongly
prefer b.ii to b.i, as discussed in [5].

The OR-MAYBE operator (b.ii) is completely independent of how the
or-later business shakes out.

The AMBIGUOUS[-VERSION] operator (b.i) overlaps slightly, because
you'd have to choose which GPL short identifier to use with
AMBIGUOUS-VERSION.  If (b.i) has no surviving supportors, we don't
have to worry about that at all.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: