Hi all,

We discussed this on the Sept 20th call and recorded notes in the issue here:
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues/683
<https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues/683> but I wanted to post on
the mailing list to make sure everyone saw and has a chance to comment.

The question was about a license for various files related to the “back end” of
the SPDX License List - especially now that the files used to maintain the
license list contain more than just the text of the licenses and a spreadsheet
list as was the case prior to 3.0

Specifically:
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/blob/master/validate-schema.js
<https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/blob/master/validate-schema.js> -
currently has MIT as its license
and the schema file -
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/blob/master/schema/ListedLicense.xsd
<https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/blob/master/schema/ListedLicense.xsd>
- has CCY-BY-4.0

As per discussion on the Sept 20th call, it was decided that putting these both
under CC0-1.0 would be more sensible and make the use of such files easier.

In order to change the license, we need the permission of all copyright
holders. The only people who have contributed to these files are Gary O’Neall
and Trevor King - who have both provided their agreement with the license
change already.  I have now prepared the PR here:
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/pull/710
<https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/pull/710> and asked Gary and Trevor
to review so we have all the info in one place.

I’d like to get this update for the 3.3 release for these two files: if anyone
has a concern or issue with this, please raise it here before the next call,
which is next Thursday, Oct 18th.

As for the XML files: we won’t put a license notice in those files for a number
of reasons, but will prepare a notice to put in the directory to clarify re-use
as to the extent there is copyrightable material. The lawyers on the SPDX legal
team will work on this and some related collateral - this will take a bit
longer and not be ready for the 3.3 release, obviously.

Thanks,
Jilayne