Hi all, echoing Phil's comments -- several people have indicated interest
in increasing the velocity of adding new licenses to the license list. I'd
encourage anyone who shares this goal to participate in reviewing and
commenting on requests and issues, and creating/reviewing the license XML
files, in the license list 's GitHub repo [1].

I wanted to share a few other thoughts (speaking just for myself and from
my own perspective!) Apologies for the lengthy response below.

For those who aren't familiar with the process of adding a license to the
list, details are at [2]. High-level, there are two major steps:

1) Legal Team evaluation and consensus around whether a new request should
be added. The SPDX legal team community reviews the request and evaluates
whether it is appropriate for inclusion on the license list -- e.g., is it
already on the license list (taking the SPDX matching guidelines into
account); does it meet the list inclusion principles [3]; etc.

2) Creating an XML file representing the license text and a test text file.
Separately from the evaluation in #1, adding the license requires creating
a representation of the license text in XML format that conforms to the
list's schema definition, together with a test text file that is used for
validating the XML file.

Currently, for both of these steps, the process typically involves
discussion of each license during an SPDX legal team call. This has often
meant, for each submission, getting verbal consensus on both whether the
license is appropriate to include on the list, and whether the submitted
XML file is correctly formatted and templated.

Since the legal team call is biweekly, I think that the only way the
process will accelerate to add licenses more quickly will be if more
decision-making occurs in the GitHub issue discussions, outside the calls.
E.g., if participants are actively reviewing and weighing in on submissions
directly in the issue threads, and making recommendations + determining
consensus or lack thereof.

Where there isn't consensus among the regular reviewers about a thumbs-up
or thumbs-down, that probably signals that it deserves discussion on one of
the biweekly calls. But where there's general agreement, perhaps we should
more readily accept and iterate based on the issue discussions.

Jilayne has done a fantastic job of encouraging this participation for a
long time, and of nudging the rest of us to review and comment between
calls (thank you Jilayne for all your efforts in moving us all forward!)

I guess I'm asking the rest of us who want to see licenses added faster to
the list, myself included, to each figure out how we can better participate
in reviews of license submissions and creation of XML files, and reach
consensus (or identify where it's lacking), out-of-band from the team
calls. Just like with any other volunteer-powered community, the license
list will only be able to grow in line with the effort and availability of
those who care to contribute and participate in it on an ongoing basis.

If you've made it this far, thanks for your attention to my ramblings...
Steve

[1] https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues
[2]
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/blob/master/DOCS/new-license-workflow.md